You can activate the weighted average cost option on the General page under Store setup.
If it is unticked (unchecked), the option is deactivated and your store is currently calculating cost based on the latest cost set on the product's profile page, as shown in the image below. If it is ticked (checked), your store is calculating the average cost based on the weighted average cost matrix.
Please note: we recommend not to change this setting once it's set up. It may mess up the data in the sales report if you change it back and forth.
How is the weighted average cost calculated?
The weighted average cost will be calculated based on the initial inventory, the cost of the initial inventory, the purchased quantity in the purchase order and the purchase cost in it. Here's an example of how it's calculated for Product A.
|Purchase Cost In Sales Report|
- Product A is created on the 1st of January, with the initial stock as 8, and the cost as $100.
- When you sell one Product A on the 1st of January, the purchase cost in the sales report will be recorded as $100.
- Then, you change the cost of Product A in the product details page to $80, and sell another Product A on the 2nd of January. The purchase cost in the sales report will remain unchanged. It will be recorded as $100, rather than $80.
- You process a purchase order of Product A, buying 10 Product As at $60, and receive it on the 3rd of January. The purchase cost will be updated. When you sell a Product A, the purchase cost will be recorded as $75 = ($100 * 6 + $60 * 10) / (6 + 10).
Will this impact the way I use Hike if the weighted average cost is activated?
To ensure that the feature works properly, you may get a warning when using the following features.
- Editing cost in the product's profile page manually, in bulk via importing, or by 3rd-party integrations.
- Adjusting inventory in the product's profile page manually, in bulk via importing, or by 3rd-party integrations.
As you may understand, the calculation of the weighted average cost depends on the inventory and the cost value. It will work effectively only if cost and quantities are streamlined with purchase orders. Manually updating cost or quantity may lead to miscalculation of the weighted average cost.
Setting Tax Option for Cost in Purchase Orders
You can set up the tax option for purchase cost in a purchase order easily in Hike. You would first need to confirm whether the product cost on the product page, as shown below, is the tax-inclusive or tax-exclusive one. To set this up, please ...
How much does it cost to switch to Hike?
This article takes information from the Change Your Subscription Plan guide. How much does it cost to switch to Hike? Hike offers you the opportunity to try our software free for 14 days. Hike offers non contract based Cloud POS software with a ...
Explore Product History
Product history is where you can check the inventory change of a particular product. It's a log recording the inventory change and how it was caused. Please note, as it records the inventory change, so you will not be able to find any product history ...
FAQ on Integration with Shopify - Products
Hike allows you to set up the integration with Shopify. Regarding how to set it up, please refer to How to integrate Shopify with Hike . In this article, we are trying to answer some of the questions frequently asked about syncing products with ...
Why Doesn't My Epson TM-T82 Work Via USB?
Reason If you have tried a printing test and nothing has been printed, the most likely reason is that you haven't set up the interface properly. Solution Please first ensure that you have installed the latest driver for your computer, and then follow ...